Thursday, February 07, 2008

GONG HEI FATT CHOY!!

Happy Chinese New Year 2008! (Year of the Rat)

I'm back in Canberra for a few days now. It IS really quiet with only a handful of students back in Bruce Hall, but hey, the serene campus and peaceful surroundings make a great setting for getting new inspiration!

CNY was not as loud and large a celebration like the ones i have at home. Probably will be working with dad in bakery till the very last minute of chinese new year, but it's special :)

This year is going to be my 2nd time missing CNY at home, and I've chosen to spend it with my brothers and sisters from OCF. I was the youngest there amongst a group of working adults. My friend Michael had kindly offered his house as a gathering place, and what more, he cooked all the food himself!!! We even had yu sheng, which he ordered from the one and only place that makes yu sheng in Canberra - our very own Mamak corner (run by Malaysian). This 'Aussie' version of yu sheng had beetroot and Japanese pickled ginger in it. Other than that, we had roast pork, hainanese chicken, chicken cooked with potato and mushroom ( ju lynn loves those potatoes.. it's her recipe anyway), hakka vegetarian dish (my fav!), and vege soup followed by red bean soup for dessert. Wonderful wonderful meal.

On a side note, just felt like highlighting some of the works of my dad, who is also my baking instructor. That was a cake made using icing-sugar topping.

enjoy you meal :)

2 comments:

cheesy-pops said...

Glad to see that at least you had a decent celebration with your family in Christ. :) SEE YOU DURING O'WEEK I HOPE! Apparently my direct number is 20273.

Jared Wong said...

yo! update update!